The first step in building self esteem, is understanding hat self esteem is, as you cannot fix what you do not understand, so this article breaks down what self esteem is, exposes the causes of self esteem, and gives you tips on how to fix your self esteem.
What is Self Esteem?
Self Esteem is the amount of value you ascribe to yourself based on your view or perception of yourself. It determines how easily you can make decisions or assert yourself, how easily you are able to try new things, and if you are able to see your strengths or if you choose to only see your weakness.
Causes of Low Self Esteem
• Suffering from bullying or abuse
• Being discriminated against
• Mental health issues
• Money issues
• Issues with physical health or appearance
• Toxic relationships
How to Improve Your Self Esteem
• The first step in overcoming low self esteem is to try being nicer to yourself. Train the voice inside your head to tell you good things about yourself instead of saying harsh and mean things, or repeating the abusive statements you have heard. The world is a mean place, and it is your duty to treat yourself nicely first. To do this you have to learn to speak to yourself. If someone is saying mean things to you, don’t allow the voice in your head to echo them. Say good things to yourself in your mind and tune out what the person is saying.
• Don’t compare and remember that nobody is perfect. Everyone is different and everyone has their own thing, and their own time. If you see someone doing amazing, don’t compare yourself to them, their success does not mean your failure, they are working in their own field. Instead of feeling less than when you see someone succeeding, begin to see them as motivation. Tell yourself “If they can do it, I can too”. And if you fail, don’t beat yourself up, simply try again. Nobody is perfect and everyone as a failure in their story. Be the best version of yourself and don’t set unrealistic goals of perfection.
• Do some exercise. Moving around and exercising your muscles is a great way to improve your mood, be less stressed, and be more motivated. The endorphin released during exercise will make you feel good, and you will feel motivated and build self confidence.
• Work on what you can change and don’t stress over the rest. Don’t get worked up over things that you know are not in your power to determine. It would do nothing but cause you pain. Instead focus on doing what you can, to change what you can.
• Do the things that make you happy and celebrate the little things. When you spend time doing something you enjoy you are automatically in a good mood, so try to make sure that you have time during each day to do that one thing you love doing and celebrate every good thing, no matter how small. Did you get to work early today? Congratulate yourself. Did you get the winged eyeliner right for once? Congratulate yourself. When you do these, you would be in a better mood more often and a good mood will make you feel much better about yourself.
• Be nice to others and be around people who are nice to you. Get yourself a group of people who love you the way you are, believe in you, and support you wholeheartedly and make sure to be around them very often, all that positive energy is sure to rub off on you and increase your self confidence. Take that energy and spread it to the world as well, give everyone kindness and allow yourself to feel good about it. Often healing others can heal you too.
• Get self esteem therapy. Seeing a professional is a great way of building self esteem. Low self esteem is indeed a mental illness as it is a disease of the mind. Once you notice any low self esteem symptoms, you can get self esteem help to help you gain self confidence.
Now that you understand what self esteem is and what could cause it, you now know that it is not normal and is detrimental to you, you can apply these tips to improve your self confidence.